West Cobb Homeowners and home buyers are becoming more energy and eco conscious. Just look at new subdivisions like NatureWalk in Seven Hills where golf carts are becoming the norm for resident transportation around the neighborhood. So it’s not surprising that eco friendly holiday decor is becoming more popular. Christmas is probably one of the easiest times of the year to use environmentally friendly decorating ideas, and given the more traditional decorating trends for the season and the ever increasing need for all of us to contribute to making the planet a greener place, it’s never been easier. Here a few great ways to decorate your home for the holidays and be greener at the same time!
Green Tree Ideas
- Replace your old Christmas lights with new LED lights that can be found at Home Depot, WalMart and several other local retailers. They use less electricity and last longer than the older ones.
- If you put up a real tree for the holidays consider using a live tree that you can plant after the holidays, or be sure you recycle your tree after the season is over.
- Only purchase your real tree from a Christmas tree farm or retailer who purchases from farms. Never cut down a tree in a conservation area or in a public park.
- Consider using an artificial tree; be sure that it is recyclable and not made using any harmful materials or chemicals.
- Use natural products to decorate your tree. Berries, popcorn, and other food items that don’t perish quickly are a great addition to any tree.
Green Home Décor Ideas
- Use real garland and other decorations from nature. Most garden centers are great places to get environmentally friendly decorations for the Christmas season.
- Be sure that you purchase decorations and other holiday items that are durable and reusable year after year. If you want holiday tableware avoid the paper kind, and choose products that are made locally using environmentally friendly products.
- If you put lights on the exterior of your home you may want to reduce the number of hours you turn them on each day, and only have them on when someone is home.
- For wrapping and gift giving, use papers and materials that are reusable and recyclable.
- Check out our Pinterest board for some eco friendly decorating ideas.
These are just a few ideas that you can use to make your Christmas more green while still keeping the holiday spirit alive! This is a great time of year to show our love for our planet and our fellow man, and keeping the holidays environmentally friendly is a great way to do that.