A right of passage – senior prom. And it is upon us. Local residents will probably have a difficult time scheduling hair appointments as well as getting mani/pedis next weekend. The East Paulding High School Prom kicks of the calendar this year with their prom on Saturday, March 15. Like generations before them, students will change from their traditional casual attire into the formal gowns and tuxedos indicative of this event.
There will be several limousines around our neighborhoods since the prom is being held in Atlanta. North Paulding will also hold their prom in an Atlanta location on April 26th. Allatoona High School’s prom is on April 12th in Perimeter.
In preparation for the event, Allatoona High School is again hosting the 4th Annual Prom Dress Consignment Sale at Allatoona High School March 8 from 10a-2pm at Allatoona High School in Acworth. The average price of a new prom dress is well over $300.
The other costs for prom include tickets ($100/couple), tuxedo rental, limousine, hair, nails, tanning, makeup…bringing the average cost to $1078 last year after a 33.6% from the year before!¹ Figures for 2014 have not been released yet, but we are sure to see a significant increase again. This right of passage has become an evening to celebrate and splurge.
There are some ways to save in our area:
- Dawsonville Outlets – I just purchased a pair of evening shoes for a formal event at the Vince Camuto outlet for $29.99 and they were available in silver, gold or bronze. Nine West Outlet also offered several pairs under $59.99/pair. And then there is also the new Atlanta Outlet Mall in Woodstock. Both of these outlet malls offer VIP Clubs for discounts: North Georgia Outlets, Atlanta Outlet Mall.
- Dillards has a large assortment of formal prom gowns at a variety of prices, but several are under $200. There are four Dillards locations nearby in Arbor Place Mall, North Point Mall, Perimeter Mall and Atlantic Station.
- Belk is offering 15% off special occasion dresses in their Prom Department through March 9 with local stores in West Cobb, Town Center Mall, Cartersville and Arbor Place Mall.
- Charming Charlies at the Avenues at West Cobb offers an assortment of jewelry, wraps and handbags at affordable prices. They also have a store in Arbor Place Mall.
- Local nail, hair and tanning salons may be offering prom specials. If not, you can always check for a coupon on Living Social and/or Groupon.
Most of all, the students should enjoy this right of passage and have a safe, amazing evening.